From the moment they come out of the oven I just can’t stop munching these little crispy bhindi snacks. There’s no need to feel guilty about scoffing these little treats though. They are low in fat being oven-roasted rather than fried, with a very light gluten-free batter made from besan (gram flour), light spices and amchoor powder (green mango powder) giving a wonderful tanginess.
They have a wonderful texture. Crispy on the outside but with a little of that okra gooeyness on the inside. Perfect for the Friday night munchies.
Crispy baked bhindiCourse: Indian, Vegan, VegetarianCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
150 g okra or bhindi
1 tbsp gram flour or chickpea flour or besan
1/2 tsp rice flour
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp caraway seeds or ajwain
3/4 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
1/4 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp amchoor powder
2 pinches of bicarbonate of soda or fruit salt or Eno
2 tbsp vegetable oil. I used sunflower oil.
salt to taste
- Slice the okra in slithers. Add the gram flour followed by rice flour and all the spices as well the bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix everything well. Pour over a drizzle of oil and mix again by hand.
- Line the oven tray with greaseproof paper and lay the slithered okra making sure they don’t touch each other
- Roast in the oven for 12-15 minutes at 180 C. Let the okra sit for 10 minutes to crisp up after roasting.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime.
- Pick okra/ bhindi that’s tender and long.
- Make sure you leave a little space between each piece of chopped okra laid on the baking tray.
- Keep a close eye on the oven when roasting the okra. Don’t let it go too brown. You may only need 12 minutes.
- You can also make crispy okra by deep-frying or air-frying them. This is a low-calorie recipe for enjoying them guilt-free.